Duran Duran Going For Top 40 Hits

By Anonymous

Simon Le Bon knows exactly what he wants from the new Duran Duran album: "We're not aiming for indie-rock radio or some niche," Le Bon says. "We want Top Forty." So when founding guitarist Andy Taylor quit, the group jettisoned the tracks it had been working on and brought in hitmaking producer Timbaland -- who crafted tracks like the Justin Timberlake duet "Nite Runner." "The original sessions were more 'white rock,' " Le Bon says. "What we got now is something that is much more funky, much more rhythmic and much more black -- but it still sounds like Duran Duran."

This quote is from a recent Rolling Stones piece. I can't believe that they flat out said they're going for top 40 sounds. WHAT THE FUCK?
 

12 comments so far.

  1. Anonymous September 13, 2007 at 7:37 PM
    Like I said before dude... you're too young to even begin to comprehend.

    They were Top 40 (correction - more like Top 10) when they were at their peak...

    Why not shoot for it again?

    Nothing wrong with them saying it. And I think anyone who actually grew up during their "hit" run wouldn't have a problem with it at all...

    I don't.
  2. Anonymous September 13, 2007 at 8:25 PM
    My age has nothing to do with it, I have almost everything these guys have ever released.

    The top 40 of today is much different than that of the 80s and early 90s.

    It flatout stinks.
  3. Anonymous September 14, 2007 at 1:18 AM
    "And I think anyone who actually grew up during their "hit" run wouldn't have a problem with it at all..."

    I did and I do. Duran have become fucking sell-outs and Simon has practically admitted it in his statements.

    Fuck Duran Duran. Washed up old fuckers.

    So when you guys going to post RCM anyway? I wanna hear how fucking bad it really is.

    I hope this album tanks and Duran fade into obscurity. And this is coming from a fan of of nearly 25 years.

    "...sound more black". WTF? That's the dumbest shit I've ever heard...f u Simon Le Bon...FU.
  4. Anonymous September 14, 2007 at 4:23 AM
    "My age has nothing to do with it..."

    It most certainly does.

    I can claim to love and understand Elvis' music as much as my mother... but it just isn't possible.

    She lived through it.

    Music has that beautiful association. It has so much more meaning attached to it when you have the memories to go along with it while it was all happening.

    "I did and I do. Duran have become fucking sell-outs and Simon has practically admitted it in his statements."

    I don't think so.

    Sellouts would have made an impact on the charts in oh... that last [nearly] two decades.

    Sellouts sell. And well... the group hasn't gone gold with original material for years (and years). So that theory is kind of off.
  5. Anonymous September 14, 2007 at 11:29 AM
    I, for one, couldn't be more excited for Red Carpet Massacre. What I've heard is their best in ages. Easily the strongest since The Wedding Album. Same after-hours vibe as TWA and the first record.

    Duran Duran have aimed for Top 40 since their inception, so if they're sellouts now, they've always been sellouts. Is it realistic? Probably not. But they've got guts for saying it.

    The promo copies are out there...when will it surface here? I'm dying to hear it!
  6. Anonymous September 14, 2007 at 1:17 PM
    DD have always been a pop/rock band that make pop/rock records. Great melodies, great beats, just great songs..."Girls On Film" sounds as fresh today as in '81. They started the band to make as much money as possible and live the rockstar lifestyle...I believe that's called "sex, drugs, and rock and roll". Why should anything be different now? They are on the verge of it all being over... so they're going for it before their times up. Sell out? Don't think so...I think they're taking advantage of opportunities. Plus, it sounds like they're having as much fun now as ever...isn't that what life is all about?
  7. Anonymous September 14, 2007 at 2:14 PM
    There's nothing wrong w/ working w/ people you admire nor is there anything wrong with wanting the financial success that comes with being a Top 40 act. That's capitalism, Baby!

    I like what I've heard here so far...now where's the rest, Oh Great Leak Master DMS?
  8. Anonymous September 14, 2007 at 3:52 PM
    I am not going to win this battle, but I never said they were sellouts. I think that's the dumbest word ever.

    Selling out isn't possible, it's called wanting to make money.
  9. Anonymous September 14, 2007 at 4:23 PM
    So what's the complaint, DMS? I have an idea...post the new album and let the music speak for itself! LOL
  10. Anonymous September 16, 2007 at 4:38 PM
    come on man just leak it
  11. Anonymous September 17, 2007 at 2:50 PM
    Ahhh! Another tier of people are receiving Red Carpet Massacre promos from Sony this week. Why haven't we seen a leak yet?!?
  12. Anonymous September 18, 2007 at 7:06 PM
    You haven't seen it yet because the leak source sucks! lol!!

Something to say?