Kanye West's Graduation Review

By Anonymous


Easily one of the best hip-hop albums of the year Kanye West does it again with Graduation. With maturity that can be heard in the beats and in the subject matter of his songs the album is what I see as a breath of fresh air in a world full of frisbee quality albums. After putting out the classic College Dropout album in 2004 and then Late Registration followed by releases from his own artists the man has grown up. From the bangin introduction of "Good Morning" to the Jay-Z inspired "Big Brother", Kanye once again proves himself as an artist. Keeping his playful and humorous flow that many people seem to have a problem with (seriously...hip-hop needs a sense of humor) Kanye takes you back to a different time while still moving things forward.


The sonic back drop to Graduation is mixed an eclectic mix of samples from the soulful (Everything I Am) to the more modern ( Stronger). Kanye didn't take on all the production by himself this time around. He had the assistance of the famous Dj Toomp on the lead single "Cant Tell Me Nothing" and the T-pain featured "The Good Life." Instead of those songs sounding like a reach for southern support they become actual collaborations that will have people in New York still supporting the Chi-city champ.


Kanye could of had a classic on his hands if it wasn't for two back to back misstep's the actual reach for southern support and ego flexing "Barry Bonds" and the Mos Def assisted "Drunk and Hot Girls" both these songs take away from Kanye's growth and end up sounding like songs that should not of made it past the idea stage. But where the album stumbles is where it takes a leap for greatness, the amazing "Flashing Lights" which is more than enough reason to buy this album (which you should regardless of the available download). He keeps the steam going with "Homecoming" a dedication to his hometown of Chicago. After Kanye takes you on a musical ride he finishes the album with a guitar and bass heavy dedication to the man who " got me out my momma crib/ then he helped me get my momma a crib." Still affiliated with Roc-a-fella but slowly starting to create a dynasty of his own Kanye is starting to step out of his idol's shadow.

[Everyone please leave Rudy comments and think him for contributing to the blog, I hope this is his first of many contributions. Also if anyone else out there would like to join The Leak Source team please contact me and let me know! - DMS]


 

10 comments so far.

  1. Anonymous September 3, 2007 at 9:15 PM
    Rudy that was a very good review, thanks man.
  2. nicknick September 4, 2007 at 7:07 PM
    itz veryyy true. and i <3 homecoming and big brother =]]
  3. Anonymous September 4, 2007 at 9:55 PM
    nice review sweetie, i couldnt of said it better myself, kanye album should be album of the year
  4. Anonymous September 4, 2007 at 10:05 PM
    Maybe Hip-Hop album of the year, but I have to get a few more listens before I decide on that.
  5. Anonymous September 5, 2007 at 9:01 PM
    Great site

    Flashing lights is AMAZING
  6. Anonymous September 7, 2007 at 1:09 AM
    COMMON, TALIB KWELI AND KANYE WEST BEST HIP HOP ALBUMS OF THE YEAR ........PERIOD.........
  7. mixedupmixtapes September 8, 2007 at 3:55 AM
    i knew i was down to get this before i knew he waas going to sample daft punk.... this album is amazing..... hands down his best yet... although nothing really gave me the same feeling i got first time i heard "roses"
  8. Anonymous September 8, 2007 at 6:39 PM
    This album is flat out amazing, I can't stop listening to it, the production is just so emotional, some of these songs give me chills while others make me feel more empowered. I can't wait to go cop it on 9/11 and bump it in my car and then I can't wait till he goes on tour and these beats are booming across a stadium, it's going to sound so sick. Highly recommend this album, everyone go get it!

    Kanye, Talib, Common best albums of the year and Lupe Fiasco coming very soon.
  9. Unknown September 11, 2007 at 1:54 PM
    Best hip-hop album this year by far. Kanye has grown up as both a producer and MC. "Flashing Lights" is the best sounding hip-hop song in a while. 50 Cent is due for a beatdown after this, and I hope he retires once he gets outsold by Kanye.
  10. Anonymous September 13, 2007 at 2:41 AM
    Hot as hell! As for it being a classic, well se if detox drops first. but I have heard it 4 times biginning to end I can't bring my self to play anything elce. Fiah!

Something to say?